Let’s start by understanding the skill sets you need to get digital marketing to deliver the return on investment you’re looking for.
1. Digital Strategy: Experienced digital strategists know what delivers the best return on investment for your business and keeps you ahead of a rapidly changing game. They help solve business problems by clarifying goals and objectives, identifying ideal clients and their problems and then customising a digital strategy to target these clients.
2. Digital Advertising: By far the biggest problem in digital advertising is wasted spend. Digital advertising specialists avoid wasted spend by targeting tightly to deliver a good return on investment.
3. SEO Expertise: Search engine optimisation specialists know how to get free snowballing traffic from Google. This organic traffic not only increases sales but it also adds inherent value to your business.
4. Content Writing: Superb storytelling is absolutely vital to your online success. Your writers must know how to deliver quality content that brings online engagement and sales.
5. Digital Design: Your designers must be experts in creating stunning websites, striking banners and engaging newsletters that are on brand and excite and engage both new and existing markets.
6. Social Media Management: Building and maintaining a social media community around your brand is vital in today’s world. An expert knows the most effective ways of using social media to build and engage a community.
7. Specialist Programmers: Experienced programmers keep your website functioning perfectly. They have the technical skill to program newsletters, forms and surveys, and add cookies so you can deliver new strategies and seamlessly update your site.
8. 24/7 Server Team: Quality hosting is crucial. It gives you fast load times with minimal downtime. The best server teams are onsite 24/7 with superb customer service.
To get the best results, all eight of these skills need to work together as a team.
When businesses try to do digital marketing in-house, they often decide to employ a generalist ‘digital marketing expert’. Their hope is that an internal person who knows the business inside out can deliver everything they need.
But clearly one person can’t possess the multiple skills outlined above.
For example, they might know about Google Ads but not SEO, or they might be able to design or program but have no idea how to write for digital media in a way that delivers quality leads.
The best employees understand the overall strategy and their own limitations and bring in help when it’s needed. This will deliver great results.
Unfortunately, some employees will resist bringing in outside help for fear of losing their position. Also, their internal focus means they can’t see how rapidly the world is changing.
The risk is that the internal hire becomes an out of date liability. And the marketing still doesn’t deliver.
Outsourcing your digital marketing to a professional team is becoming a preferred option for many companies.
If you get the right supplier, all the stress of managing an internal person goes away. You have a skilled team of professionals at your disposal – professionals who are constantly upskilling as they learn from multiple accounts.
A good team will scale up with you. And because they are an outsourced partner, you are in control and can terminate the contract at any stage.
Get in touch today and take your next step towards digital marketing success